Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sweet Pepper Grits

This past week Westen the dogs & I went on a little getaway. A much needed one up on the mountains  to our family cabin.  My parents met us up there and we all kicked back from a few days. Away from civilization and only hearing the distant train every morning and night. Breeze in the aspens, tall grass waving around. It was indeed heaven. Days kicked back on the porch playing cards, going on hikes, walking in the evening to the stream to catch some fish or just visiting and going around with jokes makes going to the cabin one of our favorite little getaways. Within a few hours were up in this beautiful place away from everything. We did not go to a parade or see any fireworks on the 4th of July this year.. Instead we had an ice cold beer with delicious food and kicked our feet up away from it all and soaked in the quiet serenity... well not counting the laughing and joking of course... but if we could zip our lip for a minute or two it was quite peaceful. We had our window open right above our bed in the loft and its amazing how well a person can sleep when the natural sounds of the wilderness are singing you a lullaby. Oh how I wish I could sleep that well at home!  To sum it all up you just NEVER want to leave and just stay up there on mountain time.

 Trips to the cabin seem to end up with memories made, laughs shared and above all delicious meals!

Little place I like to call heaven.
I don't know what it is but we have lots of ambition to make delicious meals and try new things! I guess when your miles away from the nearest grocery store your inspired to take what you have and make delicious meals! Thats what we do! My dad whips up the most amazing spiced pancakes, Mom fries the the stream fish we catch in a crunchy savory bite. I usually make a crazy amount of things! Southwestern macaroni saladSalsa & Guacamole. All time favorites such as those!  So one morning I woke up inspired to do a play on a favorite breakfast side of mine. My dad will frequently cook a batch of grits to go with eggs and bacon. His grits are so good but I though't I'd get a little creative and maybe bring them to a new level of flavor, and I did. This recipe is oh my heck amazing so get yourself this line-up of ingredients and make yourself some!

Did I just face plant my screen in a taking a bite motion? Get it together, Mia! 

Sweet Pepper Grits

1 Batch Albers quick grits cooked grits I follow the 4 servings guideline
2 Medium sized sweet bell peppers. Yellow/Orange mix is what I use
1 Large onion chopped
1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
1/2 Teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter (I didn't say it was healthy HA , HA!)
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon chili powder

Caramelize your onions & peppers in the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Once caramelized add to your pot of cooked grits and stir it in along with all your spices and cheese. Cook until bubbly and cheese melted! Add any extra cheese, or spices if you want more. I use Albers quick grits but really any plan batch of grits can be transformed into this savory mixture!

Serve with some eggs, bacon and toast! Enjoy!






No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...