Friday, July 18, 2014

Chicken Zucchini Alla Pesto!

So last week I boasted with my proud Italian heritage in my Stuffed Crust Garlic Chicken Alfredo Pizza post. How I love the traditional meals such as pasta, pizza, fresh gnocchi, cheese and so on. THIS week I am taking a little bit of a spin on an Italian dish. Instead of angel hair or spaghetti pasta I'm using zucchini! A low carb, delicious and healthy spin. Being guilt free, this dish is abundant in flavor and looks beautiful on a plate. Don't let the clean eating scare you, This dish is for real and absolutely amazing! TO put the cherry on top THIS is a 30 minute meal! Oh yes. This recipe has a lot going for it!!!

My sister who caters for a living, which means, DUH! She's an AMAZING cook, found an awesome gadget called a Veggetti! A spiral slicer that turns zucchini, squash, cucumbers and other vegetables into pasta type strings. Hence the name Veggetti, like spaghetti! Anyways my Mom purchased one and brought it with her when were were all together over the 4th of July at our family cabin. She was making fresh salads using it. I knew at first glimpse I NEEDED one of these. So I promptly purchased one on our way home! Needless to say vegetables have been way more fun since I have had it! Which says a lot, I'm a California girl so I grew up on fresh produce and have always loved it and had fun cooking with it. This gadget opens a whole new direction to take produce though and it makes my mind go crazy with creative ideas!

Chicken Zucchini Alla Pesto is a must try! You'll feel great after eating a fresh healthy meal such as this one and still love every bite of it!

Is that tongue marks on my screen from trying to lick it? NASTY! 

Chicken Zucchini Alla Pesto

For the chicken

4 Chicken breasts. (If their thicker I filet them down to thinner pieces)
1 Tablespoon jarred pesto (Can be found in fresh section of grocery)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper

*Marinate your chicken breasts in this mixture from 30 minutes to 24 hours.*

For the zucchini pasta

4 Medium sized zucchini
1 white onion
2-3 Tablespoons jarred pesto (can be found in fresh section of grocery)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon pepper
*Optional* 1/2 Teaspoon minced garlic
Parmesan cheese for garnish! 

Heat a skillet with some melted butter in the bottom or your grill to cook your marinated chicken. Once heated cook until done. Using your Vegetti, slice down your Zucchini. Chop your onions. Heat a skillet to medium high heat and melt butter and optional garlic together. Once melted sauté your onions until caramelized then add your zucchini for a quick sauté. It won't take long. Once all vegetables are cooked add your pesto and spices and stir together. Let simmer for a minute or two then serve with chicken breasts sliced down and served on top.

Bon Appetit!









No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...