Homemade bread crumbs is just about the easiest thing ever, and it's a great way to save money.
particularly care for the heal of the bread so I always have a bread bag
full of heals in my freezer. All those uneaten rolls, hotdog buns,
hamburger buns and stale bread ends up there too. Anything bread that we aren't going to eat gets saved. We have just enough of bread stuff we don't want to eat to make enough bread crumbs for the year and two huge batches of stuffing for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
1. Set out all the bread you will be using on a cookie sheet and let it
get a bit hard. This will happen faster if it isn't in a big pile and
you flip em over after a while. I tend to put it in a big pile and then get frustrated when it is taking so long.
2. Using a food processor, crunch up all your hard bread into a powder.
3. Spread out crumbs on a cookie sheet no thicker than 1/2 inch.
4. Bake for an hour at 250 degrees.
5. Store in a jar with a lid.
Click to print recipe.
Now, go forth and make crumbs!